Monday, January 03, 2011

New Year, New Age!

Happy New Year to all and Happy Birthday to Me!

The problem with having a birthday that falls near the wintery holiday season...it's all over at once. No birthday to look forward to in the middle of the year, nothing to break up the monotony of the year, all the presents come in at the same time.

As a child it was terrible to get the dreaded 'combo' gifts. Get the sweater for Xmas and then the rest of the ensemble for birthday. Get the necklace for one, get the earrings for the other, get the toy for one, get the batteries for the other. OK, maybe that last one was a slight exaggeration. ;)

As an adult it stinks because quite frankly, it typically just gets overlooked by most people.
"ahhh the holiday rush is over, time to relax and get back to normal..... (mid February/March it dawns on them) ahhh CRAP I forgot all about her birthday!"

Yep, it's great. Thankfully, Rambo and the kids know better than to overlook my day! Since Rambo's birthday is before xmas and mine is after and we both wanted new phones; we got each-other a BlackBerry Torch. I have been resistant since I love my BB Bold 9000 so very much, not to mention I'm not a huge fan of the touch screens. The Torch has both a touch screen as well as a BB Keyboard, which is why I decided to give it a go.

Here are my two BB's side by side. (bold on bottom/right side, torch on top/left side)




It's not a HUGE change, but still one that requires some getting used to. I am liking it well enough so far, but I also have the option of slamming that SIM card into my Bold 9000 should I start feeling all nostalgic.

On the crafty front, I aim to keep a better blog of my yarnie goodness. Including photos of course. I have a nasty habit of washing and packing up the FO right away. Before I realize it, the item has been mailed off and THEN it dawns on me that I forgot to snap a shot of it! *forehead slap*

In hopes of keeping me on track so to speak. There is the LSG11ty group, where the plan is to knit 11 things in 2011. For me this is good in 2 ways; it should help me remain more active on Ravelry in general as well as keep me from knitting aimlessly and perhaps have some purpose...or at least a vague map. ;)

One of the first items I believe will be Jared Flood's Juneberry Triangle.
Secondly, or tandemly for my OTG (on the go) project will be Woolly Wormhead's Castiel Hat.

After that, it's anyone's guess what I will knit next!

Now to search the stash to see if I have anything that fits the bill for these items. If not, it's the perfect opportunity to use the Michael's gift card I got for xmas!

1 comment:

Deneen said...

My daughter's b'day is 12/21 and my mother's is 12/23. I grew up my whole life hearing about "how when I was a kid, they just gave us (she's a twin) one less present for Christmas and it was in Christmas wrap), so lesson learned. Elena (dd) gets her birthday gifts in b'day wrap and a celebration. When she had parties (she chose not to now), we had them the beginning of the month. My mom, same thing-out for lunch on her birthday and a birthday present in birthday wrap. None of the gifts have anything to do with anything either receives for Christmas.

Unfortunately, it creates two problems: having to buy other gifts during the holiday season and, for my daughter, December is an onslaught of cards from out of town relatives and presents for birthday and Christmas and then nada after the holidays. She calls December her "big extravaganza" and will ask daily "anything in the mail for me?" and then the rest of the year be bummed out and complain "I never get any mail"-she can have a few of the bills, if she wants, but she says no (LOL).

I got a BB Bold 9650 this year and love it. Everyone told me "get a touch screen", but I've used em and don't like them. Just wish the screen was bigger and a few freezing issues (listed as a problem), but we checked into a bunch of phones and chose the BB Bold.